How to Register an Aircraft (in the US)

Several months before completing your new airplane, builders should send a check or money order made payable to the United States Treasury in the amount of $5 along with a completed AC Form 8050-1 "Aircraft Registration Application", and AC Form 8050-2 "Bill of Sale" signed in ink from the last registered owner to the FAA Aircraft Registration BranchSpecific examples and details for new kit-built airplanes are available in Advisory Circular AC20-27D (see Appendices). The FAA also usually expects amateur-built aircraft builders to submit an "Affidavit of Ownership for Amateur-built Aircraft" (AC Form 8050-88) when registering a new aircraft, along with a completed AC Form 8050-2 "Bill of Sale" signed in ink by the kit manufacturer (if applicable). If you want to request a SPECIAL N-NUMBER, read details HERE.

Once a new amateur-built aircraft is completed and is ready to fly, a sample letter that can be used to request an airworthiness inspection by a local FSDO inspector or a Designated Airworthiness Representative is available in Appendix 8 of AC20-27D. During the inspection of a new aircraft, a completed "Application for Airworthiness Certificate" and an "Eligibility Statement Amateur-built Aircraft" will also need to be submitted. At the same time, most builders also submit an application for a Repairman's Certificate applicable to the airplane they've built, as outlined in AC65-23A, Certification of Repairpersons (Experimental Aircraft Builders).

Important Note: An individual desiring to be certificated as a repairman is required to make application for a repairman certificate (experimental aircraft builder) at the time of original certification of the aircraft.

Also: when applying for registration, use of an original Aircraft Registration Application (AC Form 8050-1) is required. Photocopies and computer-generated copies are not acceptable for the registration of aircraft. Aircraft Registration Applications may be obtained from the Aircraft Registration Branch or your local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO).

If more information is needed, call the Aircraft Registration Branch at:

Phone Number: 1.405.954.3116

Mailing Address:


Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750

PO Box 25504

Oklahoma City, OK 73125


Special N-Number requests must be submitted in writing. Written requests should include at least five (5) N-Numbers of choice listed in order of preference. The request should also include a name, mailing address, phone number, signature, and, if appropriate, title of the requester. Requests for special N-Numbers along with a check or money order made payable to the United States Treasury in the amount of $10 (U.S. Funds) should be submitted to the Aircraft Registration Branch (address listed above). 

Click on one of these links for additional information concerning special N-Numbers.

Built with Pride in the USA. God Bless America.

7017 Challenger Ave., Titusville, Florida 32780 USA .
Phone: (321) 452-7168, (321) 267-4004 -- Web:

 Comp Air 6.2  Comp Air 12 |  | Comp Air 9 | Comp Air 10XL | Comp Air 8 | Comp Air 7SLX
Comp Air 7 | Comp Air 6 | Comp Monster | Comp Air 3 | Walter Turboprop


COPYRIGHT 2006 Comp Air, Inc. All rights reserved.